Newmont Mining Corporation Invites Job Applications
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Jobs in Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Ghana
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry-leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health, and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities, and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role:
- To manage the preparation and reconciliation of all items in the trial balance and ensure that financial reports are prepared accurately and timely.
- To serve as a go-to person for detailed financial accounting records.
In This Role You Will:
Ensure accuracy of General Ledger (GL) Accounts
- Manage the GL accounts review process and liaise with other departments to close out any issues identified.
- Perform monthly analytical review of the financial statement and advise the Financial Reporting Manager of any exceptions.
- Manage the Balance Sheet reconciliation accounts and investigate issues in order to resolve them in a timely manner.
- Prepare analysis for monthly reporting to Newmont Corporate office.
Support Month/Quarter End Close
- Prepare quarterly reporting packages to assist the Corporate Consolidation Team.
- Provide satisfactory variance explanations for the monthly Post-Close Call with Corporate Financial Reporting and accounting teams.
- Provide detailed and accurate comments for the quarterly Flux analyses for corporate and external auditors on a timely manner.
- Preparation of schedules and analysis to support financial reporting in accordance with month-end close schedule and preparation of schedules and analysis to support ad-hoc information requests.
- Prepare monthly valuations of the stockpile, in-process and finished goods in a manner consistent with all relevant accounting and Newmont policies.
- Assist with a recording of journal entries for transactions, and supporting balances for entities in the Newmont Ghana Regional group with reference to the U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (USGAAP) and relevant regulatory requirements.
Manage Intercompany Accounts and Relations
- Manage all Intercompany loans, payables and receivables; reconcile and agree all balances.
- Maintain relationships with all intercompany counterparties in Africa, Australia, North America, and South America in order to ensure timely agreement of intercompany accounts.
- Accurately compute, settle and request payment for all interest on intercompany accounts.
- Review, agree, and book all Intercompany charges; Management Fees, Technological and Know-How Fees, European Gold Refinery Charges etc.
Support other functional areas with finance issues
- Effectively coordinate and manage regular and ad-hoc requests for support from other functional areas; Bank of Ghana Reporting, Transfer Pricing, Bench-Marking surveys, proper coding, etc.
- Work closely with the regional subject matter expert to support SAP system testing.
Year-End and Statutory Reporting Support
- Assist in the preparation of year-end International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) statutory reports for all relevant entities in the Region.
Training & Experience:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- CA, ACCA, or CPA qualification.
- Knowledge of USGAAP and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) is preferred.
- Knowledge of and work experience with Sarbanes Oxley (SOx) regulations is preferred.
- A minimum of 3 – 5 years’ accounting experience preferably in the mining industry.
- Excellent knowledge of computerized Global (GL) Systems.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Must have the confidence to interact with corporate leaders.
- Strong leadership and management presentation skills.
- Strong computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Demonstrated people management experience, the ability to work with internal and external partners, and experience with continuous improvement programs and integrated management systems.
- Takes initiative.
- Detail focused.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
- The position is in Accra.
- Regular travel is required.
HOW TO APPLY
CLOSING DATE: November 12, 2021